Looking for easy and delicious back-to-school lunch ideas for kids? Check out these 18 recipes that are both kid-friendly and quick to prepare!
Get ready to send your little ones off to school with a series of easy and delicious lunch recipes that are sure to keep them energized throughout the day. From flavorful Cucumber Sandwiches to Toaster-Oven Quesadillas, these 18 back-to-school lunch ideas are both kid-friendly and quick to prepare. Say goodbye to half-eaten lunches and hello to happy, satisfied bellies. With just 15 minutes of preparation time, you can have a nutritious and tasty lunch ready to go for your kids. So, grab your apron and get ready to impress your little food critics with these delightful lunch options.
The Best Tomato Sandwich to Make All Summer Long
As summer rolls around, there’s one sandwich that stands out above the rest—the tomato sandwich. Juicy, sweet tomatoes combined with creamy herby cream cheese make for a mouthwatering combination that will have you craving this sandwich all summer long. Whether you’re packing a picnic, heading to the beach, or just enjoying a lazy day in the sunshine, this tomato sandwich is the perfect companion.
To make the best tomato sandwich, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Fresh, ripe tomatoes
- Cream cheese
- Bagels or crackers (optional)
- Smoked salmon or sliced turkey/chicken (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- First, slice your tomatoes into thick, juicy slices. The key to a good tomato sandwich is using ripe tomatoes that are bursting with flavor.
- In a bowl, combine cream cheese with your favorite herbs and spices. You can use a pre-made herb cream cheese or get creative and mix in your own combination of fresh herbs such as basil, dill, or chives.
- Spread a thick layer of the cream cheese mixture onto your choice of bread. If you want to switch things up, try using a bagel as the base for your sandwich, or spread the cream cheese on crackers for a bite-sized snack.
- Place the tomato slices on top of the cream cheese, season with salt and pepper, and add any optional toppings like smoked salmon or sliced turkey/chicken.
- Finally, top your sandwich with another slice of bread and enjoy the explosion of flavors in every bite.
This tomato sandwich is perfect for a summer picnic or a quick and easy lunch option. Prepare a big batch of the cream cheese mixture and have it on hand to spread on bagels or crackers for a tasty snack throughout the summer.
Rainbow Bento Lunch for Kids
When it comes to packing a lunch for your kids, it’s important to make it not only nutritious but also fun and visually appealing. That’s where the rainbow bento lunch comes in. This colorful lunchbox idea is packed with a variety of fruits and vegetables, making it a healthy and exciting meal that your kids will actually want to eat.
To create a rainbow bento lunch, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Bell peppers (red, orange, yellow, green)
- Cherry tomatoes
- Yogurt (preferably Greek)
- Food coloring (optional)
- Any other fruits and vegetables your kids enjoy
Here’s how to assemble the rainbow bento lunch:
- Start by slicing the carrots into thin sticks. These will be the “red” portion of the rainbow.
- Next, slice the bell peppers into thin strips. Arrange them in the lunchbox in the order of the rainbow—red, orange, yellow, green.
- Add a handful of cherry tomatoes as the “blue” portion of the rainbow. If your kids don’t like tomatoes, you can substitute them with blueberries or another blue fruit.
- Slice the cucumbers into rounds and add them as the “purple” portion of the rainbow. For an extra touch of fun, you can dye the yogurt with food coloring to represent the “purple” color.
- Finally, for a complete lunch, add a protein source such as grilled chicken or cheese, and some whole grains like crackers or a small sandwich.
By packing a rainbow bento lunch, you’re not only providing your kids with a well-rounded meal but also introducing them to a variety of fruits and vegetables. The vibrant colors will make their lunchtime experience more enjoyable, and the nutritious ingredients will keep them energized throughout the day.
If you’re looking for a refreshing and light sandwich option, look no further than the cucumber sandwich. With its creamy and crunchy texture, this sandwich strikes a perfect balance between decadence and lightness. It’s a great option for a quick lunch or a picnic in the park.
To make a cucumber sandwich, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Fresh cucumbers
- Cream cheese
- Greek yogurt
- Whole-wheat bread
- Salt and pepper to taste
Here’s how to make the cucumber sandwich:
- Start by slicing the cucumbers into thin rounds. You can peel the cucumber if you prefer, but leaving the skin on adds a nice crunch.
- In a bowl, mix together cream cheese and Greek yogurt. This combination creates a creamy and tangy spread that complements the refreshing cucumber.
- Spread a generous layer of the cream cheese-yogurt mixture onto whole-wheat bread. The whole-wheat bread adds an extra layer of nuttiness and fiber to the sandwich.
- Arrange the cucumber slices on top of the cream cheese-yogurt spread. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Finally, top your sandwich with another slice of whole-wheat bread and cut it into halves or quarters for a perfect finger sandwich.
The cucumber sandwich is a light and refreshing option for those hot summer days. The cream cheese-yogurt spread adds a touch of indulgence, while the crunchy cucumber and whole-wheat bread keep the sandwich light and healthy.
Cream Cheese & Veggie Roll-Up
When it comes to packing a lunch for your kids, it’s important to find options that are easy to eat on the go. That’s where the cream cheese and veggie roll-up comes in. These bite-sized roll-ups are packed with sliced vegetables, a whole-wheat tortilla, and a creamy cream cheese spread. They make the perfect healthy lunch for your kids to take to school.
To make cream cheese and veggie roll-ups, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Whole-wheat tortillas
- Cream cheese
- Sliced vegetables (such as bell peppers, carrots, cucumbers)
- A handful of baby spinach leaves
Here’s how to assemble the cream cheese and veggie roll-ups:
- Start by spreading a layer of cream cheese onto a whole-wheat tortilla. The cream cheese acts as a creamy and flavorful base for the vegetables.
- Add a handful of baby spinach leaves onto the tortilla. The spinach adds a pop of color and provides an extra dose of nutrients.
- Slice your favorite vegetables into thin strips. Bell peppers, carrots, and cucumbers are all great options. Lay the sliced vegetables on top of the spinach.
- Tightly roll up the tortilla, making sure to hold the ingredients in place. You can use toothpicks to secure the roll-ups if needed.
- To serve, slice the roll-up into bite-sized pieces. These roll-ups are perfect for little hands and can be packed into a lunchbox or enjoyed as a quick snack.
The cream cheese and veggie roll-up is a versatile and customizable option for lunch. You can mix and match different vegetables depending on what your kids enjoy, and even add a protein source such as sliced chicken or turkey for added nutrition.
When it comes to quick and easy lunch options, toaster-oven quesadillas are hard to beat. These delicious quesadillas are packed with peppers and avocado, making them a nutritious and satisfying meal in just 15 minutes. They’re perfect for those busy days when you need a tasty lunch without the hassle.
To make toaster-oven quesadillas, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Whole-wheat tortillas
- Bell peppers (red, yellow, green)
- Shredded Cheddar cheese
- Optional toppings (such as salsa or sour cream)
Here’s how to make toaster-oven quesadillas:
- Preheat your toaster oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Slice the bell peppers into thin strips. You can use a mix of different colors for a vibrant and visually appealing quesadilla.
- Mash the avocado with a fork until it reaches a creamy consistency. This will act as a spread and add a rich flavor to the quesadilla.
- Place a tortilla on a baking sheet or toaster-oven tray. Spread a layer of mashed avocado onto one half of the tortilla.
- Sprinkle shredded Cheddar cheese over the avocado, and add a generous amount of sliced bell peppers.
- Fold the tortilla in half, pressing down gently to secure the filling.
- Place the quesadilla in the preheated toaster oven and cook for about 8-10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the tortilla is crispy.
- Remove the quesadilla from the toaster oven and allow it to cool for a few minutes before cutting it into wedges.
Toaster-oven quesadillas are a quick and easy lunch option that can be made with minimal effort. Pack them up for a picnic, enjoy them as a tasty snack, or serve them with a side of salsa and sour cream for a complete meal.